Our vision is to enhance the well-being of our community by providing a source for unprocessed, highly nutritious living foods. We aim to develop a network of like-minded artisans and promote their products in our store and on social media. We will provide our clientele with the information and inspiration needed to integrate lacto-fermentation into their daily lives.
Ilkay and Damian started experimenting with lacto-fermentation in 2011 at their home in Long Beach. There were many lackluster attempts along the way, but meticulous research and the proper equipment soon resulted in a kitchen filled with ferments at various stages of transformation. A combined 20 years of professional cooking experience has given them the knowledge and discipline required to bring humanity’s oldest food production techniques into the modern culinary consciousness.
WHAT IS LACTO-FERMENTATION?
• Humans have been using fermentation techniques to preserve food for thousands of years.
• Following the application of sea salt and packing into a proper fermentation vessel, beneficial bacteria such as Lactobacillus Plantarum begin to feed on the sugars in raw vegetables, producing lactic acid and CO2.
• The pH decreases and oxygen is pushed out, creating an environment inhospitable to harmful microbes.
• Carbohydrates and proteins are broken down, increasing the bio-availability of vitamins and minerals.
• Micronutrients and enzymes are created, which help to detoxify our bodies.
• The ferments will improve in texture and color, while developing delicious complex flavors over several months.
• A serving of sauerkraut contains dozens of probiotic strains and trillions of microorganisms, which keep our intestinal flora healthy and working efficiently.
• Probiotic consumption will prevent diseases of the GI tract, increase white blood cells, lower blood pressure and improve liver function.
• Although ferments are acidic, they produce an alkalizing effect in the bloodstream. When the body’s pH is above 7.4, there is a much lower chance of developing inflammation-related diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis.
At Fermentality, we use only:
• Locally-Sourced Organic Produce
• Water filtered by reverse osmosis
• Hakata no shio, a Japanese solar sea salt
• Medicinal plants, such as turmeric, ginger, and garlic
• Whole spices and Korean red chile flakes (gochugaru)
• Our desire to improve your gut health and quality of life
Where to Buy
(Uptown Long Beach)
4600 Atlantic Ave
Cerritos Towne Centre
17870 Park Plaza Dr
Alamitos Bay Marina
231 Marina Dr