Our vision is to enhance the well-being of our community by providing a source for unprocessed, highly nutritious living foods. We aim to develop a network of like-minded artisans and promote their products in our store and on social media. We will provide our clientele with the information and inspiration needed to integrate lacto-fermentation into their daily lives.
Ilkay and Damian started experimenting with lacto-fermentation in 2011 at their home in Long Beach. There were many lackluster attempts along the way, but meticulous research and the proper equipment soon resulted in a kitchen filled with ferments at various stages of transformation. A combined 20 years of professional cooking experience has given them the knowledge and discipline required to bring humanity’s oldest food production techniques into the modern culinary consciousness.
WHAT IS LACTO-FERMENTATION?
• Humans have been using fermentation techniques to preserve
food for thousands of years.
• Following the application of sea salt and packing into a proper
fermentation vessel, beneficial bacteria such as Lactobacillus
Plantarum begin to feed on the sugars in raw vegetables,
producing lactic acid and CO2.
• The pH decreases and oxygen is pushed out, creating an
environment inhospitable to harmful microbes.
• Carbohydrates and proteins are broken down, increasing the
bio-availability of vitamins and minerals.
• Micronutrients and enzymes are created, which help to detoxify
• The ferments will improve in texture and color, while developing
delicious complex flavors over several months.
• Fermented veggies contain hundreds of probiotic strains, which
keep our intestinal flora healthy and working efficiently.
• Probiotic consumption will prevent diseases of the GI tract,
increase white blood cells, lower blood pressure and improve liver
• Although ferments are acidic, they produce an alkalizing effect in
the bloodstream. When the body’s pH is above 7.4, there is a
much lower chance of developing inflammation-related diseases
such as diabetes, cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis.
At Fermentality, we use only:
• Locally-Sourced Organic Produce
• Water filtered by reverse osmosis
• Hakata no shio, a Japanese solar sea salt
• Medicinal plants, such as turmeric, ginger, and garlic
• Whole spices and Korean red chile flakes (gochugaru)
• Our desire to improve your gut health and quality of life
Where to Buy
Yamashiro Night Market (Hollywood)
1999 N Sycamore Ave
Bixby Knolls (Uptown Long Beach)
4600 Atlantic Ave
Cerritos Towne Cente
17870 Park Plaza Dr
Alamitos Bay Marina (Long Beach)
231 Marina Dr